Archaeology – Prehistory – Protohistory – Antiquity – Greek and Roman Antiquity – Egyptology – Middle-Ages – Near and Middle East – Mediterranean area – Mediterranean Europe – Western Europe – France – Italy – Greece – Balkan countries – Archaeozoology – Papyrology – Coptic studies – Hittitology – Byzantium – Medieval scientific illustration – Byzantine studies
This joint research unit brings together researchers from Strasbourg and Mulhouse including archaeologists, philologists and ancient historians specialised in two areas:
- Central and Middle Europe
- The Mediterranean area and its oriental shores (Rome, Greece, Byzantium, Anatolia, Mesopotamia, Syro-Palestine, Egypt)
The unit’s researchers are renowned for their expertise in historical and archaeological primary sources, whether in the form of published excavations and sets of objects, or publications and text studies (codicology, epigraphy, papyrology). The unit plays a leading role in the scientific management of archaeology in the region. Researchers have opened their approach to other fields within the Humanities, which lead to major projects investigating cultural and anthropological history through the issues of identity, gender, political and social representation, linguistic and cultural interactions etc.
The unit’s work focuses on collective and/or multidisciplinary scientific issues and is organised around 3 principles:
- Promoting thematic analysis over long periods of time, overstepping the traditional chronological limits in archaeology and history teaching
- Furthering interactions between archaeology, philology and history within the research teams when possible, while developing collaboration between teams to exchange methods.
- Developping internal and external collaboration between archaeologists and life sciences specialists (archeozoologists, archeoanthropologists, geomophologists etc) in connected fields such as Prehistory but also in more recenlty associated research areas (Egyptian archaeology).
Frédéric Colin, Anne Jacquemin, Stavros Lazaris
Archéologie et histoire ancienne : Méditerranée-Europe (ArcHiMedE)
5 allée du Général Rouvillois - CS 50008
67083 Strasbourg Cedex
Tél : 03 68 85 61 93