Explore ethical dilemmas by using literature in key issues: social justice, economic, ecological and cultural challenges, and technological developments in health and life sciences. It seeks to improve the reflexivity of modern societies.
Voir la version française (FR)
Wondering how to ensure a better living, Ethics lay at the core of many contemporary situations: from social justice issues to key economical, ecological and cultural challenges, or from international relations to technological developments in health and life sciences.
- How do the arts and literatures inform and reconfigure past and contemporary ethical debates?
- How do they contribute to publicize their main issues and thus foster general public understanding?
- How do they reveal continuities or, on the contrary, significant breaks and differences between various cultures and historical periods on crucial ethical debates?
Lethica intends to address pressing societal challenges, in particular those related to its four selected topics:
- the spread of a sorting paradigm (“triage”) or the codified processes meant to rank, select, prioritise or neglect patients and/or eligible profiles among targeted populations, from military medicine to emergency medicine, humanitarian aid and in a increasing number of economical, social and geopolitical relations;
- the proliferation and acceleration of moral revolutions, namely the mutations of moral feelings and behaviors which occur as a consequence of globalization and mediatization ;
- the public and democratic call for transparency, or the necessity for broadcasting or retaining informations, decisions, actions, which tend to be constrained by political strategies and economic interests,
- the expansion of new paradigms and ethical issues (vulnerability, durability) regarding new situations and conditions for human and animal life (bioethics, animal ethics).
- Demonstrate the intake of literary and artistic practices for ethical thinking;
- Elaborate new heuristic and critical skills for students and teachers-researchers in the fields of arts, literature and languages (approaches to ethical questions) as well as new analytical and practical skills for professionals in social mediation, health and care
visual arts - plastic arts - drama and film studies - french literature - comparative literature, european and eastern languages and literatures studies - theology - sociology - philosophy - medical studies (especially geriatric medicine)
Students in humanities, health and medicine schools, religious studies, social sciences Teachers and researchers in health care and social mediation.
- Master: Bachelors in arts, literatures, foreign languages, human and social sciences, religious studies, healthcare and medicine (or equivalent).
- PhD: Master in arts, ethics, literatures, foreign languages, human and social sciences, religious studies, healthcare and medicine (or equivalent).
- Master: Application on https://ecandidat.unistra.fr
- PhD: Application directed to a researcher, and carried through the scientific committee and then the director of the doctoral school