Vous êtes ici :

Visa and immigration

EU doctoral students

Doctoral students from EU countries don't need a visa.

Non-EU doctoral students

Doctoral students from non EU countries must apply for a visa:

  • If you are not working in France, you should apply for a student visa (CESEDA L313-7).
  • If you are working in France (employed by the university, the CNRS or INSERM), you should apply for a scientific visa (CESEDA L313-8). Prior to applying, your employer should provide you with a hosting agreeement (convention d'accueil).

Good to know

If you are having trouble obtaining your visa, you can ask the person hosting you in France to write a letter to the French embassy's cultural attaché in your home country.

French embassies and consulates abroad


Logo du CNRS
Logo Établissement associé de l'Université de Strasbourg
Logo du réseau Epicur
Logo de EUCOR, Le Campus européen
Logo de l'Inserm Grand Est
Logo de l'Inria


Logo du label Bienvenue en France
Logo du programme HRS4R
Logo du programme France 2030
Logo de Service Public+


Logo de France Universités
Logo de la Ligue européenne des universités de recherche (LERU)
Logo du réseau Udice
Logo de l'Université franco-allemande