To date, the U7 International Alliance brings together the chancellors of 48 reference institutions worldwide representing 2 million students; they commit themselves to reflect together and to define concrete actions so that their universities contribute to the urgency posed by the major challenges on the multilateral agenda. It is the first ever alliance of university chancellors on an international level to structure and strengthen their global action.
The first summit of this alliance was held in Paris on 9 and 10 July. It ended with the signing of a list of concrete commitments, resulting from prior discussions in working groups and submitted to debate and vote in plenary sessions bringing together all the university chancellors. These commitments were presented on 10 July to President Emmanuel Macron, with a view towards nourishing the discussions of the G7 Summit in Biarritz at the end of August 2019.
The 6 main principles of the U7 Alliance:
- Identify and address the global challenges our societies face in order to accelerate the development of solutions.
- Train responsible and active citizens, who will contribute to society, from a local to a global level.
- Take environmental issues and challenges related to sustainable development, such as climate change, biodiversity and energy transition into account.
- Broaden access to education and promote inclusion.
- Promote interdisciplinary research and learning, in particular by building bridges between social sciences, humanities, life sciences and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) disciplines in order to solve the complex problems of global concern.
- Consolidate best practices that can be shared, both within the Alliance and more widely with universities and similar institutions around the world.
Learn more: www.u7alliance.org