Foreign researchers


Long-stay visa, residence permits of any kind, provisional residence permits and receipts of application for a residence permit  expiring from March 16th are extended for 3 months (see the official communication from the Ministry of Interior).

This measure is only valid on the National territory. Therefore, it is strongly recommended not to travel outside of France with an expired residence permit.

External borders of the European Union and Schengen area are closed for 30 days. All travels from/to countries outside of the European Union and Schengen countries are now suspended.

Holders of a French residence permit or a long stay visa equivalent to a residence permit (VLS-TS) validated in France, who are currently abroad, are authorized to come back to France.
However, it is highly recommended to return to France as soon as possible, if you intent to. The situation changes fast, there is a risk of not being allowed to come back anymore.

Please check if the flight/train connection is available and contact the local French embassy in case you don't know how to come back.



If you wish to leave France, please contact your embassy and check with them what it’s possible to do.

Please also check with your airplane company if your flight is maintained: a lot of flights are suspended and airports closed.

Please also check with your destination country if any restrictive measures are applied to people coming from France (closed borders, compulsory quarantine, etc…).



The reception desk for foreign researchers, labelled by the European Commission Service Centre EURAXESS Alsace, is the main contact point for foreign scientists arriving in Strasbourg and the research teams that welcome them.

Welcome and support for foreign researchers

The EURAXESS Service Centre:

  • facilitates the necessary steps for the arrival of foreign research guests, contractual doctoral candidates, post-doctoral fellows and teachers-researchers hosted at the University of Strasbourg, and their families.
  • accompanies the foreign researchers in the preparation of their stay and their installation in Alsace. The partnership agreement with the Prefecture of Bas-Rhin allows for an expedited procedure for filing an application for a residence permit.

Discover a video presentation of the Euraxess network.

Opening times

The office is open every day by appointment (except in case of emergency).


The Euraxess Service Centre

International University House

11, Presqu'île Malraux

67 100 Strasbourg

Tel. +33 3 68 85 16 50 (by appointment only)



Preparing for your visit to France


◊ The University of Strasbourg has essentially three possible types of accommodation for foreign researchers:

You can send your request or question to


◊ For general information and precautions before renting accommodation, please consult this information (in french only).

Visa and Immigration

The Euraxess service centre offers its expertise to researchers regarding visa issues and supports them in terms of obtaining a residence permit.

This section does not concern nationals of the following countries: Member States of the European Union and the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, Monaco, Andorra and San Marino.


Stays that are less than or equal to 3 months

Some nationalities are exempt from obtaining a visa for a short stay. For more information, refer to France-visas, the official visa website for France.


Stays lasting over 3 months

For a long stay, a "D" visa is required. Only if

You are a:

  • Post doctorate scientist-researcher (including temporary teaching and research associate (ATER), visiting researcher): Please refer to the so-called "scientific" procedure.
  • PhD student with funding that will take the form of an employment contract: Please refer to the so-called "scientific" procedure.
  • PhD student with funding in the form of a scholarship: Please follow the "student" procedure.


The so-called "scientific" procedure:

  1. Before leaving:

    • Preparation of a hosting agreement.

    • Apply for a "scientist-researcher" or "talent passport" visa.

  2. Upon your arrival:


Family of the researcher

The Euraxess Service Centre also supports the families of researchers in their procedure.

1-The spouse of the researcher: is subject to the same rules of entry into the territory. He / she must apply for a private and family visa.

Spouse: List of documents to be provided for the application for a residence permit.


2-Minor children accompanying a foreign scientist in France are subject to the same conditions of entry into the territory.

Visa C Short stay: For a stay of less than 3 months
Visa D Long stay: For stays lasting over 3 months

-Stay permits:
A minor child does not need a residence permit to stay in France, provided that one of their parents or their legal guardian holds a valid residence permit.

-DCEM (Minor Foreigner Circulation Document):
This document is not obligatory, nevertheless it facilitates the administrative procedures in France and the passage through French customs. It lasts 5 years but does not have a residence permit value.

-French Republic Identity Document (TIR):
This document concerns children born in France of foreign parents. This document is not obligatory, nevertheless it facilitates the administrative procedures in France and the passage through French customs.

Children: List of documents to be provided for the TIR or DCEM.


Renewing your residence permit

For a long stay with a status of "scientist-researcher" or "passport talents" and if your conditions permit, you can request a renewal.
For the renewal of the residence permit of the researcher and his family, an application must be submitted to the Euraxess Service Centre by appointment, which will be sent to the Prefecture.

Warning: The renewal of the residence permit must take place from 0 to 60 days before the expiry of the permit, at the risk of a fine of 180 € in case of delay.


Extending your stay

It is sometimes possible to extend your stay for a longer or shorter duration depending on your situation. Please contact your Euraxess Service Centre to find out about your opportunities.


10-year resident card

After an uninterrupted stay in France of 3 or 5 years (depending on nationality), under salaried or scientific status, it is possible to apply for a 10-year resident card.

The file can be deposited at the EURAXESS Centre by appointment.



The naturalisation file is available at the reception of the Prefecture of Bas-Rhin (5, place de la République)

The EURAXESS Centre can advise you regarding the creation of your file by appointment.

Social Security

  • Case of a non-salaried European foreign researcher: you may obtain the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

See the following link on the CLEISS website.


  • Case of a salaried researcher (European or non-European): you must sign up upon your arrival in France.

The following documents are required:

1 - the form "Application for signing up to the general system",

2 - a copy of your passport: page(s) with identity and validity dates,

3- a copy of your "scientist-researcher" residence permit OR the long-stay visa as a "scientist-researcher" in the passport with an OFII stamp.

4- a copy of your birth certificate with parentship (no need for legalisation or certification).

Birth certificates are admissible in Albanian, German, English, Danish, Croatian, Spanish, Finnish, French, Hungarian, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Swedish, Czech and Turkish. Otherwise, it will have to be translated

             - by a sworn translator or interpreter,

             - or by the French Embassy or Consulate in the country where the certificate was issued,

             - or by the Embassy or Consulate in France of the country where the certificate was issued,

5- a copy of your Hosting Agreement,

6- a copy of your bank account details (RIB).


  • If the researcher is accompanied by his / her family

            → For the spouse, the companion, and children over 18 years of age, the same printed documents and supporting documents are required as for the researcher (identity, stay, marital status, supporting documents status and bank account details),

           → For the spouse, partner or PACs civil union partner, the same supporting documents are required as for the researcher.


                                         Send the complete file to:

                                                     ASSURANCE MALADIE DE PARIS
                                                     SRI / Talents
                                                     75948 PARIS CEDEX 19


You will receive an information letter as soon as your file has been registered. If you have medical expenses, it is also to this address that you will have to send your proof of payment and care form to obtain the refund.

Looking after and schooling of minor children

Before enrolment in school (under 6 years old)

Different childcare options are available from the age of 2 months, please visit the following website (in french only).


Enrolment in school (from 6 years old)

All children between the ages of 6 and 16 are subject to compulsory education.

How to enrol in a school? See this page.

Bilingual and international education in Strasbourg: See this page.

Search for a school in your sector: See this page.


For more information concerning :

-       Location-based researches of childcare options support services to families

-       Numerical simulation tools to estimate your childcare benefits

-       Personalised services and advices about childcare

See this page

Unemployment: the procedures with Pôle Emploi

When do I register?

  • If you are unemployed, you can register anytime
  • If you are working, you can register the day after the end of your contract.

To receive the unemployment benefits, you must register within the 12 months following the end of your contract.

The registration procedure

You can exclusively register online on Pôle Emploi website:   

You will need the following documents:

  • Your social security card
  • The documents concerning your professional activities
  • Your CV
  • Your bank account details
  • Your login code to your Pôle Emploi personal space (if you have one)

How can I benefit from the back-to-work assistance (Aide au Retour à l’Emploi)?

To receive the back-to-work assistance, you must have lost your job unintentionally. You have to justify a minimal working period at the end of your contract. A simulator helps you to estimate the amount of your unemployment benefits. You stop receiving the back-to-work assistance when you find a new position.

How to renew my residence permit when I am registered at Pôle Emploi?

The back-to-work assistance attestation from Pôle Emploi allows you to renew your residence permit. The validity date of your new residence permit will depend on the number of days you will receive the unemployment benefits.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • French courses at the LanSAD centre

“French as a foreign language” classes are provided, free of charge, for all students (regular and exchange students) who have at least an A2 level.

Language support (Programme d’accompagnement Linguistique – PAL): this programme combines workshop attendance and self-study. Register for an obligatory orientation session (séance d’accueil) on the ENT web portal (Environnement Numérique de Travail). To obtain a certificate of attendance, register before October 15 (1st semes- ter) or February 18 (2nd semester).

TANDEM  website: helps you find French speaking partners who wish to learn your mother tongue. Register on the web portal (Environnement Numérique de Travail - ENT).

  • The International Institute for French Studies (IIEF)

The International Institute for French Studies (IIEF) offers a variety of university degrees, language courses and programs in French language and culture:

University degrees from beginner (A1) to advanced levels (C2)

Internationally and nationally recognised degrees (DELF and DALF)

International summer schools (in July for teachers and August for students)

Training courses : upon the start of the first and second semesters –September and January– , students get the opportunity to attend an upgrade course preparing them to academic life

Registration online with fees:

The making process of a residence permit can take a few weeks; that is why you first receive a temporary residence permit so-called “récépissé”. If its date of validity ends before you receive your residence permit, you can renew it by bringing one ID photo

The récépissé for a first request of residence permit does not allow you to travel abroad. However, a récépissé for a renewal of residence permit allows you to travel abroad with your previous residence permit.

A first request such as a renewal of a residence permit both cost 269€. You have to pay this amount of money with fiscal stamps directly at the prefecture when you collect your residence permit.

It is possible to purchase fiscal stamps online:

You can also find fiscal stamp in the tobacco stores, please find the list here:


You can find the list of the sworn translators on the following websites:


ID photos must be recent (not older than 6 month) and similar to your appearance. If you submit several pictures, they must be the same. The photos have to be taken by a professional photographer or in a photo booth certified by the French Home Office.

Warning: If the pictures do not meet the criterion, they will not be accepted and the residence permit will not be delivered.

More information here:


The Pass Campus allows you to be identified and have access to the different services offered at the University: catering, libraries, printings and copies, transportation, sport… Thanks to the Izly solution you can pay and recharge your pass campus online.

If you are not employed by the University, you can request your PASS CAMPUS “carte invite” online:

The scientific VISA VLS-TS delivered for one year or less has to be validate by the OFII within 2 months after the entry in the French territory. An OFII stamp is affixed on the passport to prove the validity of the VISA. The Euraxess service center send all the documents to the OFII, you can take an appointment contacting

OFII : Office français de l’immigration et de l’intégration,
4, rue Gustave Doré, 67000 Strasbourg

It is possible to travel inside the Schengen area with a valid passport and one of the following document: A residence permit A receipt for a residence permit renewal + the previous residence permit It is not possible to leave the French territory with a receipt for a first residence permit request Here is the list of the Schengen area countries:


Declare the loss local police authorities (Hôtel de police - 34 Route de l'Hôpital, 67 000 Strasbourg).

Passport: with your declaration, make a new passport request at your embassy in France

Residence permit: with your declaration, you can request a duplicate at the prefecture (5, place de la République- Strasbourg).

More information here:


Every foreigner who is 18 years and more and holds a full, recognized foreign driving license can drive in France for at least one year after arrival. Everyone else must get a French license within the first 12 months of arrival as foreign driving licenses become invalid one year from the date of residency. After that, you have to exchange your driving license with a French one.

More information here: